The reality of what life was intrigued me and I unhurriedly began to enjoy the lack luster reality I faced and I was content and then it hit me. I was satisfied with life and I had no desire to write, if I tried to force it I penned the most disconnected material I’ve ever written.
And for as long as I was satisfied, my attempts at writing were griping; never quite meeting the mark as it used to.
Now I’m back and I think I’m better than ever because I’m happier than I’ve ever been and my drive to write is still thriving. So here are my tips on how I overcame writer’s block.
- Take a break but on purpose this time. In the years past I had no desire to write and had no idea what to write but I decided to let it take its course and one day passion arose while I lived my everyday life, the ideas came flooding in. So I’d suggest setting aside an amount of time to go be in the world and explore and the desire will come.
- Find inspiration while your on that break, take on experiences that inspire you and stimulate you. Find causes you are passionate about and write about them.
- Freewrite as much as possible if you don’t have the time to take a long break. Freewriting is writing as the words come to mind in that same order without consideration of grammar or any other rules of writing. For more information on freewriting visit: https://study.com/academy/lesson/freewriting-definition-examples-quiz.html
- Watch or listen to other creative material, TV shows, movies or music. For me partaking of another person’s creative product is enough to compel my own abilities to come to the fore maybe it can do the same for you.
- Forget about being the perfect writer, that’s way too much pressure. Your creativity is like a wild rushing river and trying t confine and direct to be perfect might kill it altogether. Be you and write about what you want and out of the over 7 billion people in the world you’re sure to find people who appreciate it.
Now when you restart writing remember that failure is just a stepping stone to success. It’s ok if every penned paragraph is not to your liking, keep at it. Once you regain your confidence you will improve and soon you’ll be better than ever.
Let me know if you use any of these tips and if they were helpful. Feel free to share your tips in the comments too and share with a friend who needs to see this post.